[OM] Re: WTB Zuiko 50-250 zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB Zuiko 50-250 zoom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:45:59 -0700
Piers Hemy wrote:
> Anybody got one that needs a new home?

No, but I have its "cousin", the Tokina AT-X 50-250/4-5.6 that could use
a new home.

Maker           Zuiko   Tokina AT-X
Focal Len.      50-250    50-250
Speed            f5.0     f4-5.6
Length Min       140 mm    146 mm
Diameter          72 mm     67 mm
Weight           780 g     680 g
Filter size       55 mm     55 mm
Close focus      1.8m*     1.8m
Max. Macro      1:5.8     1:1.4
  *1.53 @ 250

As you can see, they are pretty close in specs except for one minor and
one major thing. The Tokina is a little lighter.

Most significant, the Zuiko barely beats 1:6 in close-up. The Tokina
goes past 1:2, halfway to 1:1. It's one of the two super macro long
zooms of the MF heyday.

And, of course, it's much cheaper than the Zuiko. I'd guess image
quality is comparable to the Zuiko, but I've never had one to compare.

I bought it thinking I would use it a lot. In the end, it doesn't offer
enough extra reach over the WA =>Tele zooms I usually have on the OM-4.
So when I want something longer and the macro, I take the Tamron SP
60-300. It's macro doesn't go quite as close, but the extra reach wins.

It's in EX- condition, with signs of use, but no loss of finish unless
you look closely . Perfect glass and operation. Asking $135 plus
shipping with new rubber hood that has two depth settings for wide and
tele - and a racy red ring.

If you, or anyone else, are interested, email off list for further
details, questions.

Moose