[OM] Re: It's the Wide Angles

Subject: [OM] Re: It's the Wide Angles
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:41:47 -0700
Rob Harrison wrote:
> I¹ve been dinking around a bit, pondering which DSLR I¹d get if I won the
> lottery--you know, the usual gear-head activity‹and when I¹m looking at the
> C*nons and N*kons, the lens offerings really fall short (or long, as it
> were) at the wide angle end. If you¹re using a 1.5x or 1.6x crop factor
>
> camera (D80 or 30D say) the widest you get in 35mm terms is 21mm.
Huh? Lots of things under 21 mm eq. What about the Nikon 12-24mm f/4G
ED-IF AF-S DX? It has a good rep. I know Tom Scales loves it. The
calculator in my head says 1.5 x 12 = 18 mm FF eq.

And the Canon 10-22 is 16 mm eq. Then there's the Sigma 10-20 and the
Tamron 11-18 and Tokina 12-24.

I don't know about distortion, but all those come in at between 15 and
19 mm FF eq. at their short ends
> That just
> doesn¹t cut it for interiors. Maybe if I was a better photographer it
> would...but I really like getting the whole room in one shot.

How about the Nikon 10.5 mm fisheye.? I believe some Nikon software
converts the images into linear form. Certainly other software exists to
do that.
> And I haven¹t seen any of the N*kon wides, but the EF-S C*non wide zooms
> have such horrible barrel distortion as to render them completely useless
> for my needs. (Compared to my current favorite interiors lens, the Zuiko
> 18mm/f3.5, which is superbly corrected.)

This shouldn't be such a big issue. Software like PTLens can nicely
correct the distortion. Cheap and easy too. PTLens has profiles already
for all these super wide zooms and will apply them based on the EXIF,
you don't have to do anything yourself
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/PTLens/bridge_MG_6960.htm>.

If you feel like getting your hands dirty with manual adjustment, you
can use ImageAlignPro or LensDoc. I think LensDoc did a better one step
job with the example posted above because I could correct the tilt at
the same time, but the Demo is limited on what you can take out of it.

And CSPS2 has distortion correction tools as well, Filter=>Distort=>Lens
Correction.
> So an E-1, 7-14 and 14-54...and maybe that new L*ica/Panas*nic 25/1.4...is
> looking pretty good to me. In a year or whenever the new E-thingie comes
> out, well, maybe that¹ll be good too.

I'm not touting any camera or lens brand, just pointing out what appear
to me to be limitation in your lens info and thinking about current tools.

Moose