[OM] Re: It's the Wide Angles

Subject: [OM] Re: It's the Wide Angles
From: "jeff" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:58:33 +0700
For full frame, the old Nikon 15mm f3.5 seems to be very nice. It is sensitive
to flare though. If the pictures I saw weren't corrected, the Nikon appears to
have less barrel distortion than the D Zuiko 7-14. The Sigma 12-24 zoom might
be too soft in the corners for high res printed output.

You may have more flexibility with your final output, but you can't really crop
and stay ultrawide. The format of the E-System matches many of the local real
estate web requirements better than anything else. The fourthirds format also
works well for printed fact sheets. An E-1 with the D.Zuiko 7-14 is the best
tool I've seen for my needs and it's a pleasure to use.

The other thing to keep in mind is that N*kon has nice wireless flash
capability. C*non uses infrared. Optical slaves don't work well enough for me.

-jeff

***
Rob Harrison wrote:

And I haven&#185;t seen any of the N*kon wides, but the EF-S C*non wide zooms
have such horrible barrel distortion as to render them completely useless
for my needs. (Compared to my current favorite interiors lens, the Zuiko
18mm/f3.5, which is superbly corrected.)

So an E-1, 7-14 and 14-54...and maybe that new L*ica/Panas*nic 25/1.4...is
looking pretty good to me. In a year or whenever the new E-thingie comes
out, well, maybe that&#185;ll be good too.

Just kidding! It&#185;s not for sale....;-)

Rob in Seattle