[OM] Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:06:02 +0200

On Aug 12, 2006, at 6:48 PM, Garth wrote:

> Winsor Crosby wrote:
>> I think you are probably over gloomy about the situation, Garth. No
>> government is going to put its airlines out of business. The tail
>> doesn't wag the corporate dog.
>
> Oh, I've constantly underestimated the stupidity of officialdom
> most of
> my life, and have always been unpleasantly surprised.  I've only
> recently smartened up.  Since the general public will put up with
> almost
> any level of inconvenience these days, and no one will demand that --
> instead of indiscriminately screening everyone -- the security
> precautions get smarter, more assertive and less politically correct,
> I'm pretty much assured that air travel's becoming almost a non-
> starter
> for me in the future.  I'm going to tell my relatives in Normandy that
> this is probably the last time they'll ever see me (some of them
> are in
> their late 70s), unless transAtlantic ship travel gets quantitatively
> better and less expensive.

Garth,

I have to be in San Diego by the end of the year. I am strongly
considering a cruise-ship + road-trip across the US as an alternative
to flying. Not that I am afraid of flying, but because I am fed up
with being treated as cargo. Traveling with cameras etc. seems a sure
way to get a 2h security check through most TSA manned checkpoints
(all lens-caps off, all cameras opened - I've had one TSA guy poke
through a shutter curtain once...)

I expect fully that in 2008 air-travel is something that'll happen
with all PAX naked, sedated and handcuffed to their seats. FAs will
be replaced by anesthetic nurses.

Yep, the airline industry is being killed. Not sure by whom - but
it's sure as h*** that I'm not paying for being abused.

--
Thomas Clausen
Thomas.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx