[OM] Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 02:37:10 -0700
Thomas Clausen wrote:
> Garth,
>
> Fly in through Paris CDG, connect directly via RER B to the Eurostar
> terminal. Return with the Eurostar and do whatever you will in France
> before heading back via CDG. That is: assuming your tickets can be
> changed. This should at least let you travel with your E-thing
> without too much troubles this time around, although who knows in the
> future?
>
> Now, I am going OT - very OT. Apologies....
>
> <rant>
>
> Speaking as the lists resident frequent traveller, these restrictions
> rub me the wrong way. I've canceled 3 full-fare flights with BA
> already for the rest of this year, and I am strongly considering if I
> should not transform my travel-budget into teleconferencing
> equipment. I am sure that the airline industry is in such a strong
> financial shape that they'll be happy to be without my 300KEur/year
> for the foreseeable future. It's been 2 years since I canned flying
> through the US or to anything-but-unavoidable destinations in the US
> (took me from ~15 trips to/through the US/year to max 2/year) since
> the troubles and restrictions and time wasted weren't just worth it.
> UK and BA/BMI is getting in the same boat now. Thankfully, there's
> still LH and connections through Mexico and Canada.
>
> When will CNN and BBC start interview frequent travelers, for whom
> these issues have a direct and measurable impact on their life and
> business, and not Ma and Pa Jones who travel once a year on vacation?
>
> </rant>
>
> --thomas

I understand about your inconvenience, Thomas, but what the airlines are doing
is not about YOU!
We, the rest of the flying world, are *all* at risk, tremendous risk, because
of a couple of insane terrorist organizations.
It's VERY real, okay?
Some flight paths are more at risk, and if you insist on going to or from
there, you'll either have to put up with the many safety measures or not go.

I'm sure you heard about the at least 10 commercial aircraft they had planned
to blow up after they were full and in the air? All at once, if they could.
But, the folks in UK stymied that exercise...stopped them cold.
For now.
Avoided some 2000+ deaths, maybe more!

And *you're* ticked about how *inconvenient* this is for frequent business
fliers such as you... amazingly selfish point of view, if you don't mind my
saying so!

keith whaley