[OM] Tripod vibration - was Re: odd lens question

Subject: [OM] Tripod vibration - was Re: odd lens question
From: "jeff" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:48:02 +0700
Years ago while using a metal Manfrotto tripod I had more vibration problems
with physically short but long focal length lenses (Vivitar solid cat 800/11).
The physically longer lenses such as the Zuiko 600 seemed to be easier to
use.

This weekend I had the opposite experience using my Gitzo carbon fiber tripod.
A Zuiko 1000mm was almost impossible to use. The Acratech head seemed to be
solid but the legs would slowly vibrate. A light push on the end of the lens
would cause enough movement that it could be seen while looking AT the lens.
I've used a 750/6 catadioptric lens on these legs without problems.

The frequency for a sympathetic vibration seems to be much lower for the CF
legs versus the metal legs. A single extra support such as the Bogen, probably
would be of limited help with my overloaded CF legs. I could actually see the
legs twisting about the vertical axis. Two extra supports attached to two
separate legs would probably work but would be very tedious to use. I suspect
my old Manfrotto metal tripod would work better for the Zuiko 1000mm even
though it would also be overloaded.

My Tamron 400/4 has been working much better with the CF Gitzo but I think
that's because of the Acratech head versus the Manfrotto head (actually I think
the quick release on the Manfrotto head was the weakest link - problems with
creep rather than vibration).

-jeff