[OM] Re: [OT] Trans-shipping personal goods including cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Trans-shipping personal goods including cameras
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:05:13 +0100
I believe that you have been completely misled, Garth.

You *can* temporarily import personal effects and professional equipment to
the UK (and by extension to the rest of EU) as well as to several other
countries without paying any duty or tax provided that you re-export the
same goods.  And the same should apply on the way back into Canada on the
basis that the equipment is "returned goods" assuming you bought the
equipment in Canada.  Whoever has told you to pay tax and duty into UK and
back into Canada does not have the *slightest* clue about import
regulations, and were probably talking through a bodily orifice not
conventionally used for speech.

You need an ATA Carnet.  Carnets are usually issued by Chambers of
Trade/Commerce, and your own gives the five offices to contact for carnet
services: http://www.chamber.ca/article.asp?id=271 and gives general
information here: http://www.chamber.ca/article.asp?id=259

You will have to deposit a bond (I guess that covers the amount of duty that
would be payable) and you do have to pay a fee of CDN100+ (depends on value
of goods) to get the carnet issued.

The information they give assumes you will be accompanying the goods - not
in your case.  FedEx reportdely don't want to know about Carnet shipments,
UPS the same.  Try DHL.

For a useful, though US-origin, explanation, try here:
http://www.uscib.org/index.asp?documentID=1556

And for an informative "user" perspective, try this:
http://www.cinematography.net/Pages%20GB/CARNET.HTM

Above all, don't accept nonsense from people pretending to be informed (of
course, that could apply to me too, as far as you - or I - know).

And I guess the UK chapter looks forward to a ZA meet with a Canuck keynote
speaker?

--
Piers