[OM] Re: odd lens question

Subject: [OM] Re: odd lens question
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:11:05 -0700 (PDT)
Moose scratched:
> Gary's results were also affected by his technique.

Very true, however, the technique was appropriate for a given
type of shooting. If your business is to shoot topographic maps
with hot lamps, his test is most accurate.

I've been doing a lot of lens testing this year using the E-1
and flash or using studio lighting. For these tests I always use
the shutter-delay(anti-shock) feature of the E-1 and shutter
speeds that are not affected by short-term vibration.

Not that the E-1 has any particular issue with vibration,
anyway.

I've repeated my testing in different lighting (outdoors, bright
sun on the test chart) which completely eliminates any arguments
about vibration. With rare exception, my indoor/outdoor/flash
test shots all match up.

Along the way, a few dogs were discovered. Thanks to Eb*y and
Greyhound they are gone. I also discovered some incredibly sharp
settings along the way. When shooting film, I know what F-Stops
to use to maximize sharpness from the lens.

With the OM system, it was hard to get definitive answers about
a given lens' sharpness because of the induced vibration of the
camera, as well as the lens-camera-tripod harmonics. The E-1 has
none of those harmonics affecting the image that I've ever been
able to tell. The mirror and shutter mechanisms are so well
damped, buffered and counterbalanced that the camera is not only
quiet, but smooth. The only real image-affecting vibration is
human-induced and the shutter-delay (anti-shock) addresses that
as well and probably better than a cable-release.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com