[OM] Re: OT a couple computer questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT a couple computer questions
From: "Bart Wientjes" <bartjew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:11:42 +0200
(E)IDE and ATA were designed and manufactured in order to connect two disks
to one channel, using one cable. Generally this was regarded as a
non-desirable configuration, as the standard does not allow for the two
disks to be addressed simultaneously.
Usually one controller has two channels. I think attaching the two disks to
separate channels of the same controller does allow for paralellism.
The situation for sata is practically identical, but they skipped the
two-drives-on-one-channel bit that was a bad option anyhow. And they made
the cabling more flexible :)

So if you want to have many disks, you need to have many controllers.
SCSI of course still is an option. With SCSI you can drive multiple devices
simultaneously in the same channel (yeah I know it's called a bus), its just
that you are sharing bandwith.

Cheers,
Bart