[OM] Re: OT a couple computer questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT a couple computer questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:22:20 -0400
I'm still not convinced there is any parallelism between the two
channels of a single IDE/ATA controller but there might be.  Hooking
them up as you originally suggested should show if there is any
significant benefit.

If you do take Bart's suggestion to add another controller to the PCI
bus I think that will achieve parallelism between the two controllers.
In that case I'd recommend that you place one hard drive on each of the
controllers and use the second channel on each to support your CD and
DVD drives which are less likely to be running in parallel with both
drives.  You may be able to configure the optical drives such that
they're on a controller opposite from the hard drive that is most likely
to be operating at the time.  eg; burning back up images from drive X to CD.

Chuck Norcutt