[OM] Re: Some more pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: Some more pictures
From: "Fabio Fiorellato" <flowerside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 00:51:25 +0200
Hi Christos!

First of all let me thank you for your visit and for the time spent
commenting my pictures.

Well, where to start?

I admit I tend to underexpose a bit when shooting slides (no more than a
third of stop, although) and who doesn't, after all? :)

Pictures from Cabo Verde where taken on Elitechrome, while the one shot in
Budapest was taken with a Sensia (if I recall correctly). Definitely no
Velvia 'round here :)

Unfortunately my scanner is a low-end one (an Epson 3170) and it has proved
not to be able to resolve, as I would have liked, neither details nor
shadows: there's quite a difference between what I've got after the scanning
+ postprocessing stuff and the original slides, of course.

The two BW portraits taken in Florence (the "man behind the net" and the
other one you linked) where shot with the Olympus 35 SP. I remember I
spot-metered manually somewhere on a middle gray area and set the aperture /
shutter time accordingly, without any particular care. The light was quite
dull, and that perhaps was an advantage expecially in the first portrait.
Film is Tri-X @ 1600 ISO developed in Microphen 1+1 for about 18 minutes.

In my experience, every picture taken with the 35 SP + TriX@1600 combo
showed wonderful contrast, resolution and subtlety of tones, together with a
very moderate amount of grain for that speed. This is my favourite choice
when I've to shot @ 1600 ISO.

The highly contrasty girl portrait is the only one scanned from a print. The
original negative was intentionally overexposed (same film + ISO speed
combination as above, but different camera) and then printed on VC paper
with a n° 5 filter, and a bit of burning and masking here and there. Ah,
interestingly enough, that girl is now my wife, although she dislikes the
picture :)

Hope I did enough to answer to your questions!

Ciao!

Fabio