[OM] Re: AAAAARRRGGGHHHHbay!!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: AAAAARRRGGGHHHHbay!!!!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 10:20:58 -0400
Actually, I'd suggest manual focus at or near the hyperfocal distance.
I'm not sure of what lens is being used here but, assuming it's the ZD
40-150 at 150mm and f/22 the hypefocal distance is 61.5 meters assuming
a resolution of 60 lines/mm. That should be good enough for 8x10 prints
from an E-1 size sensor with everything in focus from 30.75 meters to
infinity.  If you have to drop down to f/8 for a better shutter speed
the hyperfocal distance is still only 169 meters out.  That still gives
you everything from 84.5 meters to infinity.

With good light and if shooting relatively distant objects there's no
reason to put up with autofocus delays and errors.  The hyperfocal
distance will give you instant response from the camera and more usable
depth of field.  While you probably can't estimate 61.5 or 169 meters
very accurately you probably can estimate 100 meters or 200 meters with
enought precision to make it workable.  The only loss is some of the
foreground depth of field that you might have had focusing more closely.

The notion of hyperfocal distance is also a very useful thing when
shooting flash at parties and the like where neither you nor the camera
can see to focus.  Just use a moderately wide lens and compute the
aperture and focus distance to get a depth of field ranging from, say, 2
meters to 6 meters.  It certainly doesn't need to go beyond the reach of
your flash.  Set the lens on that aperture and manual focus at that
distance and forget it for the rest of the night.  On an E-1 an 18mm
lens at f/3.5 and focused at 3 meters will give you everything from 2 to
6.5 meters in sharp focus.  Once again, no reason to focus at all.

Chuck Norcutt