[OM] Re: lazy iris diaphragm

Subject: [OM] Re: lazy iris diaphragm
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:14:59 -0400
Michael,

Chuck's suggestion is a great one but be sure to check if there is actually
oil on the blades when stopped down all the way. If no oil is visible there
is a good chance it is just the levers and linkages in the mount that are
fouled. These are much easier to deal with than the aperture itself. This is
also somewhat less scary if you haven't had a trip inside a lens before.

The tools you will need are a good fine cross point screwdriver (from a
jewelers set, I get mine from Sears individually), a pair of fine point
tweezers are also handy for setting springs. Work over a tray on a table in
good light.

Start my removing the three screws that hold the mount on. These should be
the only screws you will need to remove.
Carefully remove the mount noting where the linkages slot into the rest of
the lens.
Disassemble the linkages in the mount and clean them with rubbing alcohol.
Reassemble the mount and put the screws back in.

If you have done it right you should have a working lens again.

Obviously do this at your own risk and the advise is worth what you paid for
it :) But seriously it's not too hard and if you have determined that the
lens is to be retired you don't have much to loose.

Dan S.