[OM] Re: please help to stop me boing digital and buying a canon 5d for

Subject: [OM] Re: please help to stop me boing digital and buying a canon 5d for my om lenses
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:56:40 -0400
At 10:06 AM 8/19/2006, jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I am sitting in a internet cafe a short walk from a camera shop in london
>with a canon 5d in it.
>I want to buy it to use my olympus and tamron lenses since it has a full
>size sensor and om adapters seem to be available for it. Has anyone tried
>this already???

Are you kidding?  ;-)

>does the metering work? especially spot and centre weighted

Depends on what you mean by work.  The body will meter but the
readings may be off and how far off will vary by the f stop that you
use.  For example - if you're shooting at f1.4 the reading will be
close to spot on but you'll start getting over exposure as you stop
down and by f11 you'll be over exposing by a full stop.  This isn't a
hard and fast rule though as it can vary between lenses and metering
modes.  I seem to remember that the spot mode was the worst offender
but I could be wrong.

>does the mirror hit the rear elements?

Not with the lenses that you mentioned.  Some Contax and Leicas do
give problems.  As to adapters - some of the $20 adapters work as
well as the $175 ones.  If you do decide to jump in let me know and
I'll give you a reference to a good adapter at a good price.

>in short is it workable?

Again, what's workable for others may not be for you (or most
especially me).   :-)    In addition to the metering variability you
have to deal with manual focusing with a viewfinder that was designed
for AF use, you have to focus with the lens aperture open then
manually stop the lens down before adjusting the exposure, and then
finally take the shot.  For me all these extra steps got in the way
of my flow especially since, in my tests in my normal shooting
situations, I get only marginally better results (slight increase in
sharpness in the very corners) with third party lenses compared to my
Canon zooms.

>please help me find some reasons not to wipe out my bank balance!

See above.

>please find me some reasons not to go digital!!!

Can't help you there.  There's no way that I'd go back 100% to film
but I'd give up photography altogether if I had no other choice than
use third party, manual focus, manual meter lenses on a 5D
body.  But, lots of others will disagree.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA