[OM] Re: please help to stop me boing digital and buying a

Subject: [OM] Re: please help to stop me boing digital and buying a
From: james king <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:11:31 +0100
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Since the Bronica is only 645 I think you'll find the 5D at least
> equalling it or maybe even exceeding it.

We shall see...
I have got some *nice* shoots from the Bronny using the last series of
lenses (PE) - especially the 60mm and 100-220 zoom.

The only time the bronny and the olympus om kit has let me down quality
wise is that 24mm and wider for the oly and 40mm for the bronny when
used for  night photography are *very* *very* soft. Not sure if its the
retrofocus design or internal reflections or quite what. I have tried
different appatures, lens hoods etc. but I have never got an acceptable
result out of the 21mm f3.5 or 24mm f2.8 or f2 at night. Day time no
problem the bronny 40mm and oly 24mms are amoungst my most used lenses.

But there is a clear increase in sharpness as you go from wide to tele.
With anything wider than the equivilent of 24mm being ususable. For
example in hong kong at night using the tamron 80-200, tamron 90mm or
the bronica 100-220 pe I get fantastic shoots on velvia 100f or 100
which stand up well under a 20x microscope the detail is quite amazing.
IYou can see so much detail Under the same conditions I would not rate
the 24mm f2 or 2.8. beyond a 7x5 and the 21mm f3.5 just looks terrible.
  I assume its the lenses and therefore I will still get the same
problem with the can*n 5d. which is why for a while I toyed with the
idea of going for a mamiya 7 mk2 since the wides are not retrofocus and
using the bronny for the tele work...

oly omt4i vs bronny vs 5d should be an interesting test..

James