[OM] Re: please help to stop me boing digital and buying a

Subject: [OM] Re: please help to stop me boing digital and buying a
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:27:08 -0400
At 05:11 AM 8/21/2006, james king wrote:

>But there is a clear increase in sharpness as you go from wide to tele.
>With anything wider than the equivilent of 24mm being ususable. For
>example in hong kong at night using the tamron 80-200, tamron 90mm or
>the bronica 100-220 pe I get fantastic shoots on velvia 100f or 100
>which stand up well under a 20x microscope the detail is quite amazing.

Hi James,

If you're accustomed to judging quality by examining transparencies
for resolution/sharpness under a 20x microscope I'm afraid that you
might well be disappointed with the output from a 5D.  Under
controlled conditions (tripod, MLU, cable release) you can get at
least 80 lpmm with Velvia whereas the 5D will top out at around 60-65
lpmm.  The 5D file will be clean though and will print nicely.

Didn't you say that your friend was shooting digital?  It might be a
good move to get some files from him to examine or use his body to
run some tests with your lenses.  Even if you had to spend $20 for an
adapter it would be worth the expense if it kept you from making a
$2800 mistake.

Later,
Johnny

(Still trying to save James some money.)  ;-)

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA
mailto:jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx