[OM] Re: OT laptop etc reliability

Subject: [OM] Re: OT laptop etc reliability
From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:12:56 +0100
Tim Hughes wrote:
> Here is an interesting survey on Computer/laptops/printer
> reliability/satisfaction etc , as
> percieved by consumers.
>
> A recent thread dealt with popular beliefs about vendor reliability for
> laptops for
> storing/backing up pics etc.
>
> http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,1626131,00.asp?kc=297

I'm actually surprised how badly Toshiba fared in the survey - I've never had
any issues with my Satellite Pro 4600 that I could attribute to manufacturing
error. The T2130CS I had before it was equally bulletproof. That said, I've
never needed to call tech support - maybe that's where it all falls down...

The SP4600 is pretty well built - it survived me dropping it 4ft onto a stone
floor with nothing more than a dead hard drive (which was dying anyway) and
the DVD faceplate popping off the front of the drive. I'm currently toying
with the idea of upgrading the CPU to a 1GHz Mobile Pentium III (instead of
the 700MHz Mobile Celeron that's fitted now). I dunno, maybe I'm just a bit
mad, but if I get another two or three years out of it, I'll be happy :)

--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx         | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G