[OM] Re: New pics (again)

Subject: [OM] Re: New pics (again)
From: "Fabio Fiorellato" <flowerside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:56:31 +0200
On 8/24/06, Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/222812780/
>
> I've taken a few of these geometrical architecture shots - I'm
> sure quite a few of us have - however, apart from it being so
> well-composed and selected, the thing that lifts this image
> well up from my run-of-the-mill attempts is range of complementary
> tones in it, with no harsh highlights or dark shadows hiding any
> detail. It's one of those pictures that desires a careful print.

It was a rather 'casual' shot, taken while wandering in the Rome ghetto
neighborhood: I was surprised to see it came out like this (and the negative
is even better looking, apart from a bunch of dust particles and - aargh! -
dry water drip marks). High praises to ye good ol' APX-100 and to the Zuiko
100mm f/2.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/222812778/

> I won't try to wax lyric with the above (oops, unintended pun
> to content), but just say that, for me, this is a wonderful shot.
> If you dripped hot wax on me and forced me to criticise, I'd
> maybe crop just a smidgen on the left (but I haven't tried it,
> so I might be wrong). This is my favourite.

Another 100mm f/2 shot, this time taken hand held, wide open, in almost
total darkness. Inspecting the negative, the plane of focus can be seen on
the tablecloth fabric, on the left of the candle base (it doesn't show up as
clearly in the scaled image) and it sports incredible resolution and
clarity. Another confirmation of what Olympus optics can do. I have printed
this image and had to work hard to let the candle be less 'washed out' than
it appears in the scan. The cropping you suggest is almost compulsory as I
find too that the image is a little unbalanced. Anyhow, I too like this
picture very much.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/222811811/

> I do like this shot, but really I just wanted to comment that
> it very much reminds me of Sydney, as the coast, in and out
> of the Harbour, abounds with this intricately-scalloped sandstone.
> I love the look of the stuff, but have never satisfied myself
> with a photo of it.

Wish I had taken it in Sidney, too! Oz-tralia is one of the country I really
hope to visit in the near future :)

This negative is very 'problematic' as it is definitely overexposed and
shows a hint of veil. It was a developement error, and almost every picture
from the same roll turned out to have the same problems and was a real
challenge to print.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/222811230/

> Similar to the candle shot above, I like this composition. In
> this case, I think it would benefit from more depth of field,
> as I think the background needs more rally (I assume) detail
> to accompany Che. If you can just go back and have everyone get
> in place again and retake it with more DoF, that'd be good.
> I assume nothing's changed since 2006, and you have everyone's
> phone number ;-)

Unfortunately, I have to wait for the next mr. Berlusconi govern before I'll
be able to attend a rally with the same number of participants (it was
something like 200.000 people there in Florence). Hope I won't take this
picture again ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/222811229/

> Very "lively" protest shot, with the slower shutter speed used
> to great effect. An angle slightly from the front rather than
> the rear may have improved it (see above - just see if you can
> get them to restage the rally for you :-) )

Although the rally was really pacific, it was fast moving and in such
circumstances dealing with manual focus is a real issue. For what concerns
the restaging of the event, same considerations as above do apply :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/222806602/

> Now there's someone enamoured with and enraptured by the music
> they're creating. I think it could bear a square crop, losing
> the other player on the left entirely. I don't know if cropping
> the microphone is possible (maybe digitally) or whether it's
> required. I suspect it would work better, though it may be adding
> another complimentary angle to the angle of the bass and player.
> Don't lose that right hand though! It's the key for me.

Definitely the composition would have benefitted from a slightly closer
angle on the player alone. Anyhow, I surely am not able to digitally remove
the mic from the picture. I know I've missed a great opportunity to take
even better pictures at that event, but at the time I was still young and
way to stoopid... :)

Just one person's opinion, and, when you get down to brass
> tacks, what I really am saying is "Gee, I wish I'd taken that"

What to say? Thanks for your suggestion and for the time spent commenting my
pictures!

Ciao

Fabio

Cheers,