[OM] Re: Coming back to the fold...

Subject: [OM] Re: Coming back to the fold...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 06:10:56 -0400
keith_w wrote:

> I got my beloved OM-1 back!

Excellent!

> Cleaned up and with a new battery, it's like new to me!

First question.  What did you use for a new battery since the original
mercury cells are no longer available?

> Okay. The serendipity part?
>
> My then-wife had purchased a Tokina 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom lens, and gave it
> to me as part of the kit when she returned the OM-1.
> I'm normally hesitant about off brand zoom lenses, but in spite of it, took
> this one for a test ride a few times recently...

 >35-135mm is a better zoom range than I had imagined!

If it said Albinar, Rokunar or Star D or Makinon or any of a hundred
other private labels I'd call it "off brand".  Tokina doesn't fit into
that category.  I have a Kiron 35-135 f/3.5-4.5 (which also doesn't fit
into that other category) and I agree that it is a very good zoom range.

Chuck Norcutt