[OM] Re: [OT] Hi-Fi advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Hi-Fi advice
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:14:20 -0700
Some general recommendations from someone who has not paid attention
for a while. I used to I would have recommended something like a
reasonably priced, but well designed and audiophile friendly NAD
amplifier in that power range. These days though the Japanese pop out
so many low priced, but capable and higher power receivers I would go
that route. You are unlikely to hear any difference and any money
saved will probably be useful buying a more expensive and more
durable CD player. My experience is to aim for the middle somewhere.
Don't buy the cheapest which is likely to  be defeatured and less
durable. Don't buy the most expensive model in the lineup with
usually has added little in quality, but loaded with questionable
"features" that are really unnecessary. Sony CD players used to be
consistently on 10 best list which included stuff that cost 10 times
as much. I have sometimes been startled at how old some Yamaha
equipment is that is still working fine.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA