[OM] Re: [OT] Hi-Fi advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Hi-Fi advice
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:36:26 -0400
Well, I was keeping out of this, but may have something current to contribute.

I used to manage stores for a high-end audio retailer way back in the
late '70s in the early '80s.  Thus, my expertise is now, to be polite,
antique or, to be blunt, useless.  So, I'll speak as a fellow
consumer.

When I left the business, I bought a complete system including an NAD
receiver.  It performed very well until last year when the left
channel started to fade.  The tuner also had a bit of drift.  $125
worth of service later it was, as the tech put it, "Ready for another
quarter century of music."  Through that experience, I learned that
NAD had been purchased by another company that almost drove it into
the ground and soiled its previously fine reputation.  That may
explain the "quality problems" to which Steve alludes.  Recently, the
original owner/designer bought it back and restored quality and
reliability to the line (according to the service tech).

FWIW/ScottGee1