[OM] Re: New C*non DSLR with Self-Cleaning Sensor

Subject: [OM] Re: New C*non DSLR with Self-Cleaning Sensor
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:27:50 -0700
Ali Shah wrote:
> Ahhh...yes I just read about this upgrade to the
> famous? XT. Tho I am not sure if the self cleaning
> sensor will be as good as Olympus. Olympus still might
> have an edge.

Don't bet on it:
"The EOS 400D is the first camera to incorporate the EOS Integrated
Cleaning System. Based on significant research into the causes of dust
in D-SLR cameras, the system combats dust in three important ways:
Reduce, Repel and Remove.

   1. *Reduce* - Internal camera mechanisms are designed to minimise
      dust generation. The body cap is redesigned to prevent dust
      generation through wear on the cap itself.

   2. *Repel* - Anti-static technologies are applied to the low-pass
      filter covering the front of the sensor so as not to attract dust.

   3. *Remove* - A Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit uses hi-frequency
      vibrations to shake dust from the low pass filter for a period of
      approximately one second after each start up. For instant shooting
      after power up, this feature is disabled immediately the shutter
      release is depressed.

Canon has also developed an internal Dust Delete Data system, which can
map the position of any visible dust on the sensor. This can then be
deleted automatically after the shoot with the latest Digital Photo
Professional software."

Even if all that isn't quite as effective as the Oly system, note that
it is designed not to get in the way of actually taking a picture
immediately after power-up.

Oly has so far stuck to their guns "Dust control is more important than
catching the moment, you just have to wait."

Moose