[OM] Re: Fl-50 battery question

Subject: [OM] Re: Fl-50 battery question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:13:46 -0400
Yes, the one bad apple will cause a problem since it forms part of the
circuit.  It not only doesn't contribute but likely puts a drag on the
others.  If they're more than a few years old you might want to replace
all of them as NiMH battery capacity has increased about 30% or more in
the past few years.  Whatever you bought might not be the same capacity
as what you had and that's not good either.  Best that the capacity
matches.  I use Panasonic 2300 mah from BJ's (good price) but I know
that 2500 mah are available now and possibly even higher.

Incidentally, the batteries will self-discharge whether they're in the
flash unit or not.  For high capacity batteries you may have to allow
3-4 hours for a full charge even with a high quality charger such as the
Maha MH-C204F.  Longer for a cheap charger.  I don't know this seller
but here's the Maha.  Also available elsewhere with a 12 volt lighter
adapter and in kit form with 4 to 8 batteries.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Maha-Powerex-MH-C204F-Intelligent-Battery-Charger-New_W0QQitemZ280020245505QQihZ018QQcategoryZ50511QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
I own two of these and I think there are others on the list with Maha
chargers as well.

I don't know what kind of charger you have but the Maha charges in
pairs.  Generally a bad cell shows up as a pair where the charge light
never changes from red (charging) to green (charged).  By marking and
pairing the two from the side that never reached full charge with those
from the side that did reach charge you can tell which cell is the bad
one.  eg; assume cells numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 and that number 2 is bad (but
you don't know it yet)  Assume that they are paired 1/2 and 3/4 in the
charger.  Pair 1/2 never reaches charge after even 4 or 5 hours.  You
know one of them is bad.  Mark cells 1 and 2 and then place them back in
the charger paired 1/3 and 2/4.  Since 2 is the bad cell the 2/4 pair
will not reach charge and you know the bad cell is 2.

Chuck Norcutt

They'll