[OM] Re: This morning's Cameta list

Subject: [OM] Re: This morning's Cameta list
From: Tim Randles <tim.randles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 06:57:30 -0700 (PDT)
Chuck,

Thanks  very much for this posting, I have been wondering how I could do some
inexpensive lighting for larger shots like the barn pic, and this is a pretty
clear explaination how I can build up my own portable lighting system without
too much cost. I would much rather put my $$ into a couple good lenses than on
expensive brackets and lighting equipment.

Great suggestions!

Cheers.. Tim

Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: I mean (usually) like this.

In use I have a short TTL cable between the two.  The T-20 connector
under the one on the right allows TTL use with OM's.  The other flash
shoe on the left allows connecting a radio receiver via the PC
connector.  I always use a radio transmitter with remote flash.  The
cheap stuff from ebay works fine if you don't have to reach more than
about half of the 30 meters they advertise although I have one that does
reach about 40 meters off the front side.  (they're fairly directional
and to the back side only reach about 2/3 the max distance to the front)

I just used this rig the other day as fill flash for an outdoor family
photo shoot.  The same rig was also used as fill for this shot.

and this shot

It was also used as the "main" light to illuminate the front of this
wedding group.

My four Alien Bees B800's are hidden behind the support posts in the
loft looking down and back about 45 degrees and provide the majority of
the light required to illuminate this big old barn.  But I needed a
fifth light for the front of the group so the twin T-32 rig is down on
the first floor underneath and behind me at full power on both flash
units.  When used as close-up fill for a small group it normally only
needs one or both running at 1/4 power each.  A T-32 puts out about 100
watt seconds so in manual mode the power combinations between the two
gives 25, 50, 100, 125 and 200 watt seconds.  Pretty powerful as an
Alien Bee B400 at full power gives only 160 watt seconds and my B800's
give 320 watt seconds each.

As a portable rig it's more flexible and just as powerful as some
Lumedyne rigs that would cost you over $1000.  The T-32's also work
better than other flash units at this arrangment since they are very
compact.  Other flash units in a similar arrangment would sit very high
and tend to be way off the center-line of the umbrella.

I almost forgot to mention that it can be powered by the T-32's AA
batteries if you want to travel light or (as I usually do) powered by
this SP Systems power pack (an inexpensive Quantum battery clone)

I use two Quantum T-32 cables plus a Quantum Y adapter to power both
flashes from the same power pack.  It can recycle both units from a full
dump in about 3-1/2 seconds.  Another advantage of the T-32's over some
other flash units is that they don't require AA batteries when being