[OM] Re: This morning's Cameta list

Subject: [OM] Re: This morning's Cameta list
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:47:19 -0400
To make the rig pictured here
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Umbrella%20adapter%20mounted%20on%20tripod%20%232.jpg>
you also need an umbrella bracket.  This one uses a Bogen bracket which
costs over double the competition from Impact.  If I were to make any
more I'd probably use this Impact brand bracket as both less expensive
and more versatile since it includes the flash shoe which you may or may
not need.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=298709&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>

My rig is pictured on a small tripod but I actually use it on a small
light stand which is lighter and more convenient.  My last light stand
purchases were the heavy duty 13' stands from these guys.
<http://stores.ebay.com/J-and-K-Group_Light-Boom-Stands_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ5QQftidZ2QQtZkm>
I thought they were as well made as anything else I've seen lately and
cost considerably less.  I assume that their smaller stands would be
equal value.  These guys have their own web site but you're better off
buying via ebay.

You also need a strip of metal with a few 1/4" holes drilled in it to
mount to the stand and to mount the flashes.  My metal strip is a piece
of flat 1/8"x1" aluminum stock from Lowes.  If you look closely you'll
notice that there are two unused holes in the ends of the bar.  I
originally designed this thing to hold four T-32's by installing two of
them outboard from the others and hanging upside down for clearance.
That turned out to be a lot more power than I needed from a portable
flash.  To use that 4-way rig as TTL you'd need a multi-connector.  When
used with a radio transmitter I just put optical triggers on the base of
the other two T-32's with the sensor pointed at the umbrella.  You can
buy inexpensive optical triggers from Ritz Camera in the US for about
$12 or find the same thing on ebay.  The ones from Ritz have the contact
in the middle of the shoe and you can turn the sensor in pretty much any
direction and still be able to point the flash forward.

Chuck Norcutt