[OM] Re: [OT] Hi-Fi advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Hi-Fi advice
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:52:15 -0700 (PDT)
> We'll stay with what we've got.  I've given up on having a
> decent listening room.

For under $5000 I can turn just about any room into a
world-class listening room.  Budget $3000 for the speakers/amps
in addition.  Rooms greater than 400 sq feet are too big,
though, for serious listening. Anything smaller than 100 sq feet
is too small as the "sweet spot" is less than what your head
motion is when drinking the beverage of your choice.

We can make a room acoustically bigger or smaller than it really
is. One facility I'm very familiar with has a world-class
post-production audio-for-video room which is about 9x9.
Acoustically, the room is somewhere around 18x20.  Another room
in the same facility is L-shaped, but acoustically, it is
rectangular.

These days, I've mostly been dealing with big rooms that seat
hundreds of people, but I'm about to build my own 44' mobile
recording/post-production trailer with one primary room of 8x12
feet. The rest is living quarters and storage.  Fortunately my
digital "desk" has a pretty reasonable footprint--about half the
size of a Yamaha S90 keyboard which also has to fit in the same
space along with who knows what other instruments.  I will have
a second acoustically isolated space located a couple "rooms"
away.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com