[OM] Li-ion batteries

Subject: [OM] Li-ion batteries
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 04:23:54 -0700 (PDT)
I mentioned a long while back in an old post, that Li batteries are
self-damaged by being left
fully charged. I did not have a citation, and a number of people were
surprised.

The Wikipedia has an excellent discussion on this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

An interesting recomendation don't leave your laptop batteries in your laptop
computer when
working off linecord. Otherwise this typically cuts your laptop batterry life
~20%/pa.
Store at 40% state of charge (+in deep freeze?) if not going to use for a long
time.

It also has a good discussion of relative self discharge rates for NiMh vs NiCd
vs Li-ion. The
Li-ion rates vary a lot depending on the design of the active protection
circuits incorporated in
most batteries.

Tim Hughes