[OM] Re: Next E-x?

Subject: [OM] Re: Next E-x?
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 05:10:00 +0800
OK this will have to be my last post...it's 5:04am and I'm supposed to be
working tomorrow...horrors of horrors....and I know someone "out there" will
be breathing down my neck with "aren't you supposed to be in bed?!!?"
hahahaha...

The OM-4Ti was selected by NASA over some of the most formidable opponents
we have had to face. Here's the roundup of rivals we were competing with - -
- Leica R4s, Hasselblad 500EL/M, Nikon F3hpT, Nikon F4s, Canon F1n and one
or two others I cannot remember now for the life of me. NASA PURCHASED these
off the retail shelves! They did not come to us to supply because they did
not want us to "modify" the OM-4Ti (or OM-3Ti) to impress them. All cameras
went through the wringer, spun and dried, so to speak, and expect no bolts
sheared, no screws loose and everything in tact. In fact I can make you feel
real proud by telling you that never in the history of NASA space
expeditions has there been a camera that required no modification other than
the replacement of the leatherette with silver tape. And that camera was the
Olympus OM-4Ti. Other cameras had to be SERIOUSLY MODIFIED.
Now let's go out and have a beer. I'm gonna sleep. So have one on me.   :)

K.

On 30/08/06, ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ah, the 330!  A paradigm shifter indeed!  For those who want a quick
> reminder/overview:
>
> http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Olympus_Infinity_SuperZoom_330
>
> Too bad the market is so resistant to change.  The advent of digicams
> *could* have ushered in a completely new way of looking at the design
> of the picture making machines, but . . . ah, well.
>
> Apparently an OM4Ti went up with one of the shuttles that crashed; I
> had no idea.
>
> ScottGee1
>

> On 8/29/06, khen lim <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks AG and Johann
> >
> > I will do my best for all of you. I'm trying to bring back parts of my
> life
> > that have all too often been buried for all too long a time. I was for
> most
> > parts with Olympus all the way to the OM-4Ti and also the V-1000 Vectis,
> > which incidentally was the first commercially saleable digital camera,
> > running on floppy diskettes. And yes, yes, yes, it was an Olympus. You
> can
> > still buy spare parts for the V-1000 today!
> > I was involved in some development projects that were then NDA-covered
> but
> > they're pretty much open now. The AZ-330 SuperZoom was a favourite of
> mine
> > for two reasons. Firstly it changed the course of camera design and only
> > now, others are catching up. That's some twenty years later! Secondly
> I'm
> > proud that the built-in dioptric control was the first in the world and
> > was the guy behind it but it came by accident!
> > The most heartbreaking time I had at Olympus was watching the Space
> Shuttle
> > explode in mid-air, perishing all within and the OM-4Ti. We had toiled
> on
> > the OM-4Ti but that's another story....

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx