[OM] Re: Next E-x?

Subject: [OM] Re: Next E-x?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:35:19 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> It seems to me that making a camera for an especially talented
> handholder certainly limits your customers. Some other very fine
> photographers admit that they shake to much to hand hold successfully
> using the usual rule. And I doubt Mr. Iwago is that stable shooting
> from a boat. IS/VR is an additional tool that is useful to anyone, I
> think. The power issue is true, but I don't understand the reluctance
> to increase battery size.

There is generally an on/off switch for IS. No extra battery drain when
it's off. So you turn it off when not needed and carry an extra battery,
what's the big deal?

IS has not been a big deal for me so far. Clean high iso is the first
step, as it solves two kinds of problems. And I have a pretty steady
hand. Nevertheless, a camera system that offers it has an edge in my
evaluation. Other things being similar, I'll pick the more flexible tool.

I'm pretty well set with lenses for the 5D, including the Zuiko ultra
wides, but I can easily see that if I buy another AF lens, it could well
be IS.

I assume part of the attraction of the Leica zoom for the new Panason*c
is the IS.

Moose