[OM] Re: Sports Photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Sports Photography
From: "Komtanoo Pinpimai" <romerun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 00:08:07 -0500
just wondering, what were they using before the high fps and IS-thing
come to play ? just fast lenses/high ISO film ? Last month, chelsea
fc, a soccer team, came to my city and did a practice session show, I
went there with my new bogen3001 and tamron 80-200/2.8, unfortunately
the equipments were barred from the stadium, they said only
professional from the media were allowed to bring tele gears. Anybody
has ever sneakly brought tele stuffs into stadium where they are
prohibited ?

-kem

On 8/29/06, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ali Shah wrote:
> > Last week I went to the Buffalo Bill's training camp
> > which took place in the evening. I started shooting
> > while there was still daylight outside. As the light
> > faded and the night sky took over...I couldnt help but
> > try to push my ISO up even with the bright lights in
> > the stadium. I used the ZD 50-200 for these photos. I
> > came back with a few decent photos but most of them
> > were out of focus....probably due to slow shutter
> > speeds and having to contend with shooting through
> > people along the fences. What can a person do when the
> > night sky takes over? How does a pro photog handle
> > these situations?
> A pro sports photographer doesn't use E-thingies. They are great pro
> tools for portrait and event work, but very poor tools for sports.
>
> A sports pro uses C or N bodies with IS/VR lenses. Clean high iso and
> 2-3 stops of additional hand-hold-ability makes a HUGE difference.
>
> Beyond the issue you raise, pro sports photogs use bodies with the
> ability to take lots of shots at a high continuous frame rate. The Can*n
> 1D will shoot 12 JPEG or 16 RAW at frame rates up to 8 frames per second
> before the buffer is full, then about a frame every 1.5 seconds. The
> newer Nik*n D2Hs will shoot 50 JPEGs or 40 RAW files at 8 fps. These are
> bodies specifically designed for sports/action shooting. Your Oly and my
> 5D are not.
>
> That shot at the perfect moment you see published is likely just one of
> a burst shot as the a special moment appeared to be approaching. They
> shoot LOTS and LOTS of shots to get the few that see ink.
>
> Moose

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

when you were born, a problem was solved