[OM] Re: Next E-x?

Subject: [OM] Re: Next E-x?
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:29:50 +0800
  *OLYMPUS** OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE for PHOTOKINA 2006*

*NEW **OLYMPUS** STYLUS 1000 (*
OLYMPUS* μ[mju:] 1000*

* <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/olympus/oly_1000_frontback.jpg>*

*The 10.0 mega pixel **Olympus** µ [mju:] 1000*

*London, 23 August 2006* – With the introduction of the
Olympus<http://www.olympus-global.com/en/global/>µ [mju:] 1000, even
the most demanding of photographers will be delighted to
take pictures packed with 10.0 million pixels worth of detail, using a
camera they can simply slip into their pocket. The Olympus µ [mju:] range is
well known for cameras that push the very boundaries of technical
achievement, without skimping on the style. The µ (mju) 1000 retains the
hallmark *weatherproof** *metal body *of its predecessors, bringing it bang
up to date with a sophisticated silver finish, beneath which lies a
10.0million pixel CCD and a 3x zoom lens, that together deliver
*bitingly-sharp results*. The µ [mju:] 1000 is ideally suited to *low light
photography *thanks to BrightCapture Technology, which boosts its maximum
ISO to an amazing *6400**. *This brightens pictures, without the need to use
flash thereby retaining the atmosphere of the *ambient light.*

The µ [mju:] 1000 will arrive in Europe priced at around £330.00.

At 10.0 million pixels, the ergonomically-designed µ [mju:] 1000 has more
power than any of its predecessors, to satisfy even the most demanding
photographer. The classic elegance of its weatherproof* body is finished in
*high-quality stainless steel*, giving an immediate and unmistakable feeling
of durability and performance. Framing is easy with the large, *230,000
pixel* 6.4cm LCD screen, which of course can double up as a monitor for
viewing pictures the instant they've been taken.

The 3x zoom lens (equivalent to *35-105mm *on a 35mm camera) allows the
photographer to capture rolling landscapes and then zoom-in to isolate
specific details. This is made all the more versatile by the *unique Fine
Zoom feature, which boosts zoom magnification power to 5x, at 3.0 million
pixel resolution, while *retaining the full optical quality of the lens.

All current Olympus µ [mju:] digital cameras feature BrightCapture
Technology making them pioneers of low-light photography. The µ [mju:] 1000
uses this to boost its maximum ISO value to 6400**. This reduces the need to
use a flash and so makes scenes recorded in low light appear more
true-to-life, with naturally reproduced colour. BrightCapture also makes
life considerably easier when framing photos in dark situations, by *increasing
the contrast of the LCD screen by up to 4x.* In order for movie clips to be
as atmospheric as the photos taken on the µ [mju:] 1000, *BrightCapture
Technology is now also available in the camera's Movie mode. This allows
stunning recordings with sound in 640x480 resolution at 30fps,* with the
duration of the recording limited only by the amount of memory available –
whether that's the camera's internal memory, or an optional xD-Picture Card.

There are times when even professional photographers like to keep it simple,
and therefore the µ [mju:] 1000 offers 20 pre-defined scene modes. Each of
these automatically selects the best camera settings for a wide variety of
situations, such as Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Cuisine and Candle light.
Should the photographer ever need reminding which the best option is, a
built-in Guide Function explains a wide variety of camera functions directly
on the LCD screen – a bit like having the instruction book built in!

Even the most experienced photographer slips up some times, though luckily
with the µ [mju:] 1000 a number of quick-fixes are built in. The *Digital
Image Stabilisation Edit *feature can decrease camera shake at the touch of
a button by using a *dedicated Gyro Senor *to measure the camera shake
intensity and automatically determine the level of compensation necessary.
The improved photo is then saved as a *separate file *– so there's no loss
of the original data. Furthermore, by pressing a *Perfect Fix Button*, users
can *correct image blur *and backlighting, as well as red-eye, on the camera
after a shot has been taken. More than one correction can be performed at
the same time if necessary.

The Olympus µ [mju:] 1000 is a great choice for photographers who insist on
very high resolution and yet also want a camera compact enough to carry with
them at all times. With the µ [mju:] 1000 they really can have the best of
both worlds. This photographic marvel will arrive in October 2006.

*For great photos, just push the button*

<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/olympus/FE170_180_frontback.jpg>

*OFFICIAL **OLYMPUS** PRESS RELEASE for PHOTOKINA 2006*

*Olympus** FE-170 and FE-180*

*London**, **23 August 2006** *–
Olympus<http://www.olympus-global.com/en/global/>introduces the FE-170
and FE-180, cameras with 3x zooms that prove that
photography is fun. With a no-nonsense "one button, one function" design and
a 6.0 million pixel CCD, the FE-170 and FE-180 make taking – and printing –
even larger size photos a cinch. There's even an on-screen Help function
included, to give easy-to-understand descriptions of camera settings. Life
couldn't be any easier! With these cameras, once a shot has been taken
you'll want to show it off. This can be done either on their large 6.4cm LCD
screens, or by printing copies to pass around. Prints can be made either at
home, by connecting the cameras directly to a suitable printer (no fussing
around with a PC needed here!), or at countless High Street photo labs. As
you'd expect from Olympus, both models look the business. The FE-180
features a *metal front *and, if your family occasions stretch to water
based activities such as sailing or snorkelling, an *optional Outdoor
Case *will
soon be available for the FE-170. With the FE-170 and FE-180, you don't have
to be a technical whiz, or even own a computer to enjoy producing great
quality photos.

Both models will be available in Europe from September 2006.

We all enjoy taking photos on holiday and at family occasions and at these
times it's best to keep things simple. The FE-170 and FE-180 are designed
for minimum fuss and maximum shooting pleasure, as their "one button, one
function" design often makes searching through menus to find functions a
thing of the past.

These 3x zoom cameras deliver true-to-life photos, packed with 6.0 million
pixels worth of detail. For familiar shooting situations – such as Sports,
Fireworks or Self-portraits – ten scene modes are available, as well as a
Super Macro setting that focuses as close as just 5cm. The FE-170 and FE-180
both feature a *Movie setting, which on the FE-180 also includes a
soundtrack, *with the length of the movie clip only limited by the amount of
memory available. This can be either the cameras' internal memories, or
optional xD-Picture Cards.

Once shots have been taken, the cameras' large 6.4cm LCD screens allow the
results to be viewed and shared with friends right away. And should you ever
be at a loss as to what any of the settings actually do, the very same LCD
screen is used to display an easy to understand explanation, courtesy of the
FE-170 and FE-180's Help functions.

For more advanced users who have a PC, both the FE-170 and FE-180 come with
the Olympus Master Software which can be used to download, organise, edit,
and print photos using a computer. And the update to the Plus version even
allows special artistic effects, including 3D and oil painting, to be
applied to photos.

These economical models combine ease-of-use with an attractive compact
design; both use *standard AA batteries *which are readily available from
supermarkets and High Street stores. They're a great choice for beginners
and all those demanding straightforward fuss-free photography. Both models
will be available from September 2006.

*The **Olympus** FE-170 / FE-180 – main features:*

   - *6.0 million pixels*
   - One button, one function design principle
   - 38-114mm (35mm camera equivalent), *1:3.1-5.9*
   - 6.4cm/2.5" LCD
   - 10 scene modes (e.g. Sports, Fireworks, Self-portrait)
   - Movie recording up to card capacity *(FE-180 with sound)*
   - Internal memory plus xD-Picture Card slot
   - Comes with *2 AA batteries *(FE-180 is capable of recording up to *500
   shots *with one set of batteries)
   - Supplied with Olympus Master Software
   - Multi-language menu (with 10 languages) plus possibility to download
   further languages from the internet (25 European languages available)
   - *Optional Outdoor Case *for FE-170 available

*Olympus** FE-170 & FE-180 specifications*

* *

*FE-170*

*FE-180*

*Sensor*

• 1.25 " Type CCD
• 6.2 million pixels total
• 6.0 million effective pixels

*Image sizes*

• 2816 x 2112
• 2048 x 1536
• 640 x 480

*Movie clips*

• 320 x 240 @ 15fps
• 160 x 120 @ 15fps
• QuickTime Motion JPEG

• *640 x 480 @ 30fps*
• 320 x 240 @ 30fps
• QuickTime Motion JPEG with sound

*File formats*

• JPEG
• EXIF 2.21
• PIM III
• DPS
• DPOF

*Lens*

• 3x optical zoom
• 38-114mm (35mm equiv)
• F3.1/5.9

*Image stabilization*

No

*Conversion lenses*

No

*Digital zoom *

up to 4x

*Focus*

TTL iESP AF with contrast detection

*AF area modes *

n/a

*Focus distance*

• Standard: 0.6m - infinity (wide) 1.0m - infinity (tele)
• Macro: 0.1m - infiinity (wide) 0.6m - infinity (tele)
• Super Macro: from 5cm

*Metering*

*ESP light metering *

*ISO sensitivity*

Auto (ISO 64-400)

Auto (ISO 64-1000)

*Exposure compensation*

+/- 2EV in 1/3 EV steps

*Shuttter speed*

1/2sec - 1/2000 sec, up to *4 sec *in Night Scene mode

*Aperture*

F3.1/5.9

*Scene modes *

• Sports
• Indoor
• Candle
• Self portrait
• Sunset
• Fireworks
• Behind Glass
• Cuisine
• Documents
• Auction

*White balance*

n/a

*Self timer*

Yes

*Flash*

• Auto, Red-eye reduction, Fill-in, Off
• Range: 0.2m-3.3m (wide) 0.6m-2.2m (tele)

• Auto, Red-eye reduction, Fill-in, Off
• Range: 0.2m-2.7m (wide) 0.6m - 1.4m (tele)

*Viewfinder*

No

*LCD monitor*

• 2.5-inch
• 154,000 pixels

• 2.5-inch
• 110,000 pixels

*Connectivity*

• USB 2.0
• DC in

Combined AV & USB output

*Storage*

• Internal memory
• xD-Picture Card compatible

*Power*

2x AA batteries

*Weight (no batt) *

124 g

120g

*Dimensions*

90 x 62.5 x 30.5 mm

88 x 60.5 x 27.5 mm

*Additional images*

<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/olympus/FE170_LtAngle.jpg>

<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/olympus/FE180_LtAngle.jpg>

  *Official Press Release*

*NEW **Olympus** SP-510 Ultrazoom*

Oympus has announced a raft of new models in its FE, Mju (Stylus) and SP
ranges. First up is the replacement for the SP-500UZ, the SP-510UZ. Aside
from a silver paint job there's a resolution increase to 7 million pixels,
and several enhancements, including sensitivity up to ISO 4000 (1600 at full
resolution).

*Get as close as you like with a 10x zoom*

<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/olympus/SP-510UZ_frontback.jpg>

*Feel part of the action with the **Olympus** SP-510 UZ *

*London**, **23 August 2006* – With an
Olympus<http://www.olympus-global.com/en/global/>SP-510 UZ by their
side, photographers need never miss the action again.
Thanks to its powerful 10x optical zoom lens (equiv. to 38-380mm on a 35mm
camera) they'll be able to reach out to distant subjects and bring them in
for closer scrutiny. The 7.1 million pixel resolution means that every
detail will be there to see. *Should anyone need to delve deeper still, in
3.0 million pixel resolution, a Fine Zoom option can increase the
magnification of the optical zoom to a phenomenal 15x.* Nothing escapes the
gaze of the SP-510 UZ, even when the sun starts to set. Olympus
BrightCapture Technology comes into play boosting maximum ISO value to an
amazing 4000* allowing the camera to deliver great results even in low-light
conditions Energy efficient to the extreme, the SP-510 UZ needs just *one
set of AA batteries for up to 630*** shots. So, what with its powerful zoom,
high resolution, great low light capabilities, and energy efficiency,
photographers using the SP-510 UZ can continue shooting way into the
evening. Even if the light fails, they know that their camera won't.

Expect to see the Olympus SP-510 UZ in United Kingdom in September.

For wildlife and sports photographers in particular, the SP-510 UZ offers a
huge advantage. Its 7.1 million pixel CCD and 10x optical zoom (equiv. to
38-380mm on a 35mm camera) can be used to pick out either a distant zebra,
or footballer, to fill the frame in breathtaking detail – without scaring
them off or interrupting play! And, when shooting in 3.0 million pixel mode,
a special Fine Zoom option is available that boosts magnification to a
phenomenal 15x, making the zoom equivalent to a *38-570mm zoom *on a 35mm
camera. Yet in spite of these impressive specifications, the SP-510 UZ
remains a remarkably compact and easy to use camera.

Framing photos is made simple and straightforward with a 6.4cm LCD screen,
large enough to show off even quite small details. This naturally doubles up
as a monitor to view shots on, once they've been saved to either the
camera's internal memory or an optional xD-Picture Card. Of course, the use
of the SP-510 UZ isn't confined to just sports and wildlife, as 21
pre-defined scene modes are available to make life easy in a wide range of
shooting environments including Landscapes and Beach&Snow. To keep the more
ambitious photographer happy, the camera also offers Aperture and Shutter
Priority exposure, as well as full Manual control, so they can let their
creativity and experimental impulses run wild.

In case the animal being photographed is nocturnal, or the match is being
played under floodlights, the SP-510 UZ has been equipped with Olympus'
unique BrightCapture Technology. This increases the camera's sensitivity to
light by boosting the *maximum ISO value to a striking 4000*,* lessening the
need to use flash and preserving the atmosphere of the ambient light. Faster
shutter speeds can also be used, helping to avoid blurry images due to
camera shake – very handy for a camera with a powerful zoom lens.

A powerful 10x zoom lens and great capabilities in low light make the
7.1million pixel SP-510 UZ a great choice for people who want to
capture the
action, no matter where it is, whether that's at a family party or out in
the wilds.

*The **Olympus** SP-510 UZ – main features:*

   - 7.1 million pixels
   - 10x optical zoom (equiv. to 38-380mm on a 35mm model) 1:2.8-3.7
   - 15x Fine Zoom option with 3MP
   - 6.4cm/2.5" LCD
   - BrightCapture Technology for better low-light photography
   - Digital Image Stabilisation Mode
   - ISO 50-1600 with full 7.1MP, I*SO 2500/4000 in 3MP mode via manual
   setting*
   - 21 scene modes (incl. Landscape, Beach&Snow, Night Scene)
   - Multi-language menu with 10 languages plus possibility to download
   15 more languages from the internet (on board: English, German, Spanish,
   Italian, French, Russian, Czech, Polish, Danish, Dutch)
   - Supplied with Olympus Master Software and 4 AA batteries for 630**
   shots

* In 3.0 million pixel mode
** According to CIPA standard

*Olympus** SP-510 UZ specifications*

<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/olympus/SP-510UZ_side.jpg>

*Sensor*

• 1/2.5 " Type CCD
• 7.4 million pixels total
• 7.1 million effective pixels

*Image sizes*

• 3072 x 2304
• 2072 x 2048 (3:2)
• 2560 x 1920
• 2304 x 1728
• 2048 x 1536
• 1600 x 1200
• 1280 x 960
• 1024 x 768
• 640 x 480

*Movie clips*

• 640 x 480 @ 15/30fps
• 320 x 240 @ 15/30fps
• QuickTime Motion JPEG with sound

*File formats*

• JPEG
• RAW
• EXIF 2.2
• PIM III
• DPS
• DPOF

*Lens*

• 38-380mm (35mm equiv)
•* F2.8/3.7*
• 10x optical zoom

*Image stabilization*

Digital Image Stabilisation Mode

*Conversion lenses*

No

*Digital zoom *

up to 5x

*Focus*

• TTL iESP AF with contrast detection
• Spot

*AF area modes *

*143 AF areas selectable*

*AF assist lamp *

n/a

*Focus distance*

• Standard: 0.6m - infinity (wide) 2m - infinity (tele)
• Macro: *0.07m* - infinity (wide) 1.2m - infinity (tele)
• Super Macro:* from 3cm*

*Metering*

• ESP
• Spot
• Center-weighted
• Histogram in shooting mode

*ISO sensitivity*

• Auto
• ISO 50
• ISO 100
• ISO 200
• ISO 400
• ISO 800
• ISO 1600
• ISO 2500 (with BrightCapture Technology)
• ISO 4000 (with BrightCapture Technology)

*Exposure compensation*

+/- 2EV in 1/3 steps

*Exposure bracketing *

5 frames in 0.3EV steps

*Shuttter speed*

B, 1/2sec - 1/1000sec, up to 4sec in Night Scene mode, up to *15sec in Bulb
mode*

*Aperture*

F2.8.3.7

*Modes*

• Sequential shooting
• Scene

*Scene modes *

• Portrait
• Landscape
• Landscapoe with Portrait
• Night Scene
• Night Scene with Portrait
• Sports
• Indoor
• Candle
• Self Portrait
• Available Light Portrait
• Sunset
• Fireworks
• Museum
• Cuisine
• Behind Glass
• Documents
• Auction
• Shoot & Select 1 & 2
• Beach
• Snow

*White balance*

• iESP II
• Sunlight
• Overcast
• Tungsten
• Fluorescent 1, 2 & 3
• Manual white balance (One Touch)

*White balance fine tune *

-7 Red to +7 Blue

*Self timer*

Yes

*Continuous shooting*

1.7fps, 3 frames (high speed)

*Image parameters*

B&W, Sepia, Resize, Trimming, RAW data edit, Attach a frame, Attach a title,
Attach a calendar, Attach a layout, Red-eye reduction, Correction of
Brightness, Correction of Saturation, Lighting Fix

*Flash*

• Auto, Red-eye reduction, Fill-in, Off, Red-eye reduction & Fill-in, Slow
sync
• Range: 0.3m - 4.5m (wide) 1.2m - 3.4m (tele)
• Compensation: +/- 2EV

*Viewfinder*

201,000 pixel electronic

*LCD monitor*