[OM] Re: OM History lesson fill in the blank

Subject: [OM] Re: OM History lesson fill in the blank
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:05:37 +0800
On 30/08/06, james king <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wayne Harridge wrote:
> >>To this date, I dare make the IRREVOCABLE CLAIM that the OM-3
> >>AND OM-4 are
> >>the BEST, PUREST and FINEST INTERPRETATION of professional single-lens
> >>reflex cameras irregardless of format.
> >>

> > I wouldn't argue with that !
> >

> > ...Wayne
> >

> I agree
> The best metering system and display of any camera I have tried ever and
> the easiest to use by far including this modern digital things.
>
> The only slight issues I have (most of which I know are limitations of
> the available technology at the time or just plain wishfull thiking)
> 1. no appature reading in the viewfinder

Simply not possible from an optical perspective, James. The aperture ring is
too far out to do anything about it. Introducing digital readouts a'la Canon
A1 was out of the question. Power drain was unacceptable. I remember
test-driving the A1 - part of my job to test rival products - and although
Canon appeared very smart with all the high-tecchy stuff, the camera was
unusable after three hours or so because my eyes just got so out of focused
with the strong red LEDs in the viewfinder.

2. shuter speeds under 1 second are not displayed in the view finder

We eschewed LED technology for digit-changeable readouts for the reason I
put forward above. By the way, I don't know about you guys but Olympus'
claim on Aperture-AE lengthiest shutter speeds is way too conservative. I
have logged 4.75 minutes on mine and exposures were perfect. When I took the
readings back to the lab, we all just exchanged the kind of "I-know" quiet
smiles.....

3. camera light leaks very very easily

Haven't heard of this one, James.

4. no half or 1/3rd stop shutter speeds in manual

Not possible because shutter ring and coupling mechanism is mechanical

5. no half or 1/3 stop appature indents for the zuiko lenses

You can still use the in-between indent settings though even though they are
not marked.

silly things:
> 6. view finder not as big as my bronica ETRSI!

Well it isn't as big as my car's windscreen too....hahahaha.....seriously
James!   :)

7. it does not shoot 6x4.5 or 6x7...

I should have told the guys to build in an Olympus Pearlcorder too....

James

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Khen Lim