[OM] Re: 4/3rds site

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/3rds site
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:33:13 +0800
OK. This is the longest response I've had in two days and it seems that my
inbox is flooding at a far faster rate than I can cope. So I'll try brevity
in my response and hope not to be understood. Here goes...(read down)

On 30/08/06, NSURIT@xxxxxxx <NSURIT@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Without going into a lengthy discussion of what Olympus has or has
> not  done
> as it relates to SLRs or DSLTs, as a consumer, I would like to see my
> team  be
> on the playing field, rather than on the side lines talking to the
> cheerleaders while the game is going on.

Fair enough. No arguments here.

There is no question of the creativity of Olympus, the real question I  for
> Olympus is where do they want to be in the Professional DSLR market.   You
> know
> what that market demands and if that is where you want to play and play
> successfully, then you will need to meet or exceed
> those  demands/expectations.

Be reassured that Olympus certainly knows where they want to go as far as
pro solutions are concerned. Olympus' biggest issue was losing grip during
the final years of the OM System when Minolta got taken to the cleaners by
Honeywell. That shook up Olympus more than anyone else. The company lost
momentum and this is one of several key reasons why we are now behind.
Olympus openly admits its AF system is still not fast enough. Accurate?
Very. Fast? Not so.

Were we to draw a continuum that represents the degree to which the  major
> players are responding to the wants/needs of the
> professional  photographer,
> Olympus would lag behind the others.
>
> Were we then to draw another continuum to represent relative market share,
> it would become apparent what the result is of not responding to
> your  market.
> You have high paid executives who understand this much better than  I.

Olympus did a total reconstruct of the organisation and part of this is in
response to what you're talking about here.

In the 40 plus years I've observed the photographic equipment market as a
> consumer it has been a "what's next" market and that has been a relative
> fast
> paced consumer driven market.  As a user of equipment I want to buy  those
> things which will let me to do things I can not now do or to do  current
> things
> better.  I want them to have features that the competition  has in their
> equipment line and perhaps some the competition doesn't  have.  I want my
> system to
> be a real choice among professional  photographers who use DSLRs.  From
> the
> time I purchased my first OM  camera in the 70's, there was never a
> question
> about Olympus producing the  "what's next" for their OM system.
>
> It would appear things have changed at Olympus.

To some extent, yes.

I would hope this is not
> true because of their legacy of being leaders and innovators in the
> arena  of
> professional camera manufacturers.  It would appear that Olympus may  have
> painted themselves into a corner in the professional DSLR market.

Please don't believe this. There is a plan in the works. Olympus wants to
execute it as perfectly as possible. Give them a chance.

 The  professional
> e-whatever will need to:
>
> 1) Respond to what professionals want and have been asking for since
> the  e-1
> appeared on the market.

Check your calendar for September 14. If nothing happens then, go for
September 26. if both don't work, it's November. OFF THE RECORD.

2) Be innovative enough to continue to set itself apart from the crowd,
> while at the same time gaining professional market share.

I promise you this is the case.

3) Make a strong statement that Olympus is here to stay.

When you can touch and kiss the E-3, you'll know Olympus is here to stay.
Another thing, get the Olympus Group annual prospectus, not the Olympus
Imaging Corp. Read through it as closely as you can. See the roadmap there.
I know, you're looking at endoscopes etc. but believe me, look through it.
Then read in between the lines. You'll know that Olympus IS HERE TO STAY.
That's all the clues I'm giving you....  :)

To have their current loyal installed user base languish in wait for much
> longer and then to offer up something that is less than spectacular, would
> in my
> opinion put the nails in the coffin for Olympus.

"Less than spectacular"...? Bill, I assure you not. I am aware of the
technologies running in the labs right now. Uh-huh. Canon would die to have
a sneak at them.

   Bill Barber

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx