[OM] Re: [OT] mobile living project... was Re: Satisfaction faction

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] mobile living project... was Re: Satisfaction faction
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 04:31:25 +0800
On 31/08/06, iwert <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Khen,
>
> I welcome your sharing in OM-knowledge very much!
>
> This was meant very much ironic, I rather like all this knowledge and
> these tidbits, as I am sure most OM-listees and listettes do.
> I didn't see that much list traffic for ages, and that is a good sign!

I'm glad to hear this!  :)

And I think that Olympus should be honoured by the list's attention for
> the OM-series, would they have followed our discussions
> the E-X could have an OM-4 metering mode with dedicated "shooting mode"
> buttons, and not menu items. Having to push a button and turn a wheel
> simply to switch to spot metering (single :( ) is a dishonour to their
> own engineering history.
> The shooting SPEED of the OM-series is something they really should
> consider in the design of the next pro E-series body.

I have spoken of this very much in one of my email replies yesterday/last
night and this is one area where I consider to be my pet hate. I'll try to
find that email and forward it to you. Incidentally I have forwarded a
proposal to Olympus recently where I defined a camera design that precisely
addresses this issue in far greater detail. Yes, I really think even Olympus
has succumbed to stupid designs. Even the E-1 should be better than that if
you ask me personally.
Even though my passion lies in all-things Olympus - and probably as a result
of - I am critical of Olympus designs because we come from a long line of
fantastically good and ergonomic camera designs all the way through. We're
so good that we even have camera designs that are showcased permanently in
the New York Museum of Modern Art. That's saying something, don't you
think...

In a way you feel that Maitani really cares to take pictures, making
> the process as easy and intuitive as possible.

Maitani-san is a photographer first and foremost even though he never really
wanted to be a camera designer. His first love as he had told us was to be a
car designer. Thank God for Eiichi Sakurai who talent spotted him and
persuaded him to join Olympus. It was Maitani-san who decided that the
company not only must have an in-house photography school but that EVERY
engineer who works for the Camera Division must go through it and pass it. I
was one of them.

Sometimes,
> when using the E-1 I really think: do these designers ever use a camera
> in real life?

You're damn right. If it were me, the E-1 would be differently designed not
so much from the general architecture or styling but from the control
placement, control design and control logistics. That is the basis of my
proposal to Olympus.

However the E-interface still suits me best of all dslrs
> :)

That is true. It's all relative and by and large, the E-1 still reigns over
ANY other DSLR designed and offered by others.

What just baffles me is that one can customize the E-1's two control
> wheels in A, S and P-mode, but not in M-mode! So much for logic :)

Ouch. Touché.

Iwert.