[OM] Re: Why the OM-2S is my favorite

Subject: [OM] Re: Why the OM-2S is my favorite
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:41:30 +0800
Yes, Chuck, you are right with your comment.
Olympus eschewed the removable finder, which then inspired Maitani-san to
create the lens throat focusing screen method.  By making the camera body a
single seamless piece, Maitani-san was able to achieve the desire structural
rigidity to make the OM-1 virtually indestructible....well not quite but
very very very good anyway.  We acknowledge that the OM Varimagnifinder is a
poor substitute for a full-blown groundglass finder but according to
Maitani, the trade-off to achieve structural strength was quite important to
his ideals, which included also, making the camera smaller and lighter. If
the finder was removable, the OM would not have been the size that is is and
certainly, it would have also been heavier - the two things he positively
hated to the core. With the removable finder issue out of the way, the OM-1
achieved a unique and beautiful silhouette. That instantly recognisable
pyramidal profile (with hotshoe removed) is just stunningly beautiful.

K.

On 31/08/06, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I second you Alan.  My camera before moving to an OM-1 was also a
> Miranda G (with the T finder).  The very hardest thing to give up was
> that removable finder and a *real* ground glass focusing screen.  I
> still miss it 30 years later.  If the Nikon F had been a little cheaper
> I'd have never moved to the OM-1 and it would have been all about
> removable finders.  And yes, the vari-magni is a very poor substitute.
>
> Of course, I'd have missed all the other wonderful features of OM's. But
> what I hear fron Khen is probably the engineer's desire to make a more
> "robust" system which is less subject to external contamination.
> Unfortunately, that doesn't fit with my preferred usage of the camera.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> Alan Wood wrote:
>
> > Khen wrote:
> >

> >>No removable finders (thank God)
> >

> > I would love to have seen removable finders in an OM-5.
> >
> > Before moving to OMs, I used Mirandas (a G and a Laborec), and the one
> > feature I really missed was the magnifying finders.  The Varimagni
> Finder is
> > a poor substitute for a purpose-built finder with its eyepiece at right
> > angles to the film plane.  It makes life much easier when the camera is
> > close to the ground, or pointing downwards when mounted on a microscope
> or a
> > copying stand.
> >
> > Alan Wood
> > http://www.alanwood.net (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names)