[OM] Should this list be a bulletin board?

Subject: [OM] Should this list be a bulletin board?
From: "Robert Swier" <robert.swier@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:56:10 -0400
I've thought of suggesting this a bunch of times, but the burst of
recent activity and the comments about the sheer number of emails have
prompted me to go ahead and make the suggestion:

Should this list be a bulletin board? That is, rather than an email
list, should it be a forum run on a website? This would provide a
single location online for posting and reading messages. In general, I
think most people would find this preferable to using email: messages
would not be lost or slow to post, and good bulletin board software
makes dealing with large volumes of messages much easier than most
email programs.

I think http://www.vbulletin.com/ is probably the current leader in
bulletin board software. An example of their software in use can be
found at: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/.

It would cost a little money for a domain name and web hosting, and
the software would cost about $160 or so.

I am certainly willing to help put up a bit of money to help this
happen and pay for the small ongoing costs. There would be a bit of
work to get the site up and running, though I imagine it would not be
too difficult for someone who has done it before. (Which I personally
have not...)

What do folks think of this?

Robert Swier
Toronto