[OM] Re: Should this list be a bulletin board?

Subject: [OM] Re: Should this list be a bulletin board?
From: Paul <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:20:44 +0100
I have to own up to helping run a photography forum (or BBS, if you
must) @ photocamel.com and have wondered occasionally about how great it
would be to get the OM list integrated into the site, with the ability
to post to the forum and have it distributed to the list, or vice versa.
Technically it's achievable (think yahoo lists - but without the awful
interface), but I'm pretty sure the listees (is that a word?) much
prefer the current setup, and I can't blame them.

There are some compelling advantages to the on-line format though -
threaded messages that are usually easier to navigate, embedded images
which make it much easier to view and comment on, but it's a *big*
change to a list setup and I think also changes how people interact in a
big way. An email response is still a form of private conversation,
whereas the threads put up on a forum for the world to see can take on
different connotations and provoke very different reactions...;)

Paul