[OM] Re: 4/3 System

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/3 System
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:26:08 -0400
The frame proportions of existing 4/3 sensors are 4:3 but that's purely
coincidental as the 4/3 actually refers to the sensor size in a
round-about almost incomprehensible way.

4/3 actually means 4/3 inches.  By some bizarre means I don't
understand, the sizes of sensors are derived from the old TV Vidicon
tubes.  In this case the 4/3" specifies the diameter of the tube.  The
tube has a sensing area smaller than its diameter.  A 4/3" Vidicon tube
has a diameter of (amazingly) 4/3 = 1.33", a sensing image circle of
22.5mm and a sensing area of 18 x 13.5mm which is the size of the
current sensors.

While current sensors are 4:3 ratio I'm sure that if you asked Olympus
about the 4/3 standard the only thing that really matters is the size of
the image circle.  If someone wanted to make a 3:2 sensor with a 22.5mm
image circle I'm sure it would receive the 4/3 label.  But it would have
even fewer pixels and you probably couldn't sell it.  I don't expect to
see one anytime soon.

For more on this mystery and the source of most of my knowledge on the
subject see: <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0210/02100402sensorsizes.asp>
Other factoids about the four thirds system can be found here:
<http://www.four-thirds.org/en/about.html>

Chuck Norcutt