[OM] Re: Next E-x?

Subject: [OM] Re: Next E-x?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:01:52 -0700
Isn't that alert of you?

The question that occurs to me considering the Olympus was one of the
first to launch small sensor cameras, there was discussion by Maitani
about a DLSR in 1993 and the Nikon D1 launched in 1999 followed by
the D30 in 2000 was Olympus sleeping or meditating on purity? A year
after the D30 came out and several months after the announcement of
the D1X(5MP) they announced the joint Kodak/Olympus camera and
charged ahead to release a 5MP three years later. It is like they
thought digital was a fluke for other than consumer cameras and were
startled by the appearance of several DSLRs in succession, but not
startled enough to do something quickly or adapt to the market. One
wonders whether they would have brought a 3MP E-1 to market in 2003
if they had announced 6 months earlier when the D30 3MP was the king
of the hill.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA