[OM] Re: Next E-x?

Subject: [OM] Re: Next E-x?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:24:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Hans van Veluwen wrote:

> What puzzles me most in this digital 2.2 Mpix OM-5 back is the timeline:
>
> - Maitani retired from Olympus in 1993.
> - The first digital cameras from Olympus (Camedia C-400/C-800) were
> introduced in 1996 and their maximum resolution was only 810.000 pixels
> (1024x768).
> - The 2 Mpix frontier was reached in 1999 with the C-2500L.
>
> How on earth could Olympus have its hands on a working 2 Mpix sensor
> before 1993 and market it more than 6 years later?

You're right Hans, things don't add up with the description given of the
digtal OM-5.  The state of the art in digital cameras in the early 1990's
was Kodak's DCS series.  At that time they were only about 1.5MP and that
represented the leading edge of CCD technology.  Olympus didn't have, and
still doesn't have, any chip research/manufacturing facilities.  They
depend on other manufacturers for that part of the technology.  It's highly
unlikely that Olympus would have had access to anything in the 2.2MP range
when Maitani was there.  See the following link to get an idea of the state
of digital SLR's in 1990:
http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Kodak/index.htm
A digital OM would have looked similar.
                                                -mark