[OM] Re: magic pixels; please pass the mustard

Subject: [OM] Re: magic pixels; please pass the mustard
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 20:39:45 -0700
William Sommerwerck wrote:
>> Remember this and remember well, the Four-Third's sensor does not
>> require the same number of megapixels to beat a full-frame 35mm sensor.
>>

> This is the worst sort of wishful thinking. PROVE IT. That's not a
> rhetorical remark, PROVE IT.
>
> All things being equal, a larger sensor allows more pixels, or larger pixels
> for the same pixel count, or some combination of these, resulting in greater
> resolution, lower noise at high ISOs, or some improvement in both.
>
> Is Olympus party to new laws of optics and physics that other camera makers
> aren't aware of? PROVE WHAT YOU SAY. Don't swallow claims without
> understanding them.

I am, as you are, skeptical of theses claims. My skepticism, however
comes more from Oly's track record with sensor systems.

As to the limits imposed by physical laws, I think you are likely wrong,
and those limits have not been reached. I have posted more than once my
tests of the central portion of the 5D sensor with the same physical
area as the 300D vs. the 300D sensor itself. The 5D section has only 5.1
mp, compared to the 6.3 mp of the 300D. Yet in side to side comparisons
with all other variables the same, the 5D sensor clearly resolves more
detail while at the same time having much less noise.

I'm sure it's more than just the sensor, the whole imaging system.
Anyway, it points out that there may still be room for improvements that
would make Khen's claims a theoretical possibility.

> It's worth noting that reviews of the E-500 (which I recently bought, mostly
> because I got a really good deal) have remarked that noise levels above 400
> ISO are not as low as those from cameras with larger sensors. Is anyone
> reading this surprised?

As you say, Oly/Kodak have not to date shown much ability to make first
class sensor systems in some important areas of performance.

Moose