[OM] Grey Points & White Balance Issues

Subject: [OM] Grey Points & White Balance Issues
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:49:26 -0400
Hello all,

I hope this question doesn't get lost in all current surge of traffic but
here goes. My question relates to color balancing of studio portraits from
E-1 RAW files using Olympus Viewer.

Background:

I have just shot a set of formal portraits in a studio setting with Alien
Bees flash units. To ensure I had absolute control over my end results I
shot RAW. Prior to starting the sessions I set my white balance to 5300K
(daylight setting on the E-1). I am using Millers MPIX for printing these
images and my first batch of test proofs came back cold looking with a
slight magenta shift apparent in skin tones. When submitting the orders I
have had them not adjust anything to remove that particular variable. The
proofs I get back are consistent in quality and color.

My second batch of test proofs took multiple RAW conversions of the same
image to which I applied various alternate white balance setups. All the
files were generated by Olympus Viewer with two files having further color
correction using the color cast tool in Photoshop Elements 2. I generated
files including 5300K with PE2 color cast correction, 6000K straight, 6500K
with PE2 color cast correction, 6500K straight and finally one with the grey
point selected in Oly Viewer. I was careful to attempt to select the same
area for grey point sampling in both Viewer and PE2. My end results on paper
have a clearly better results from the color corrected versions at 5300K
with PE2 correction and the Viewer grey point selected correction. Between
these two images there is not a lot though I have judged the Viewer grey
point print the best under further examination.

My ultimate question(s) is:
Is it possible to determine the values that the grey point selection tool in
Viewer uses to reliably apply that correction to all my other files from
these sessions? Or do I have the select my grey point from my known sample
file and apply it to all the others in batch conversion? Alternatively I
also have RSE but have not created samples & proofs using its color
correction tools (I mention this in case someone has a method that may work
better in that program).

Finally, what if anything could I introduce to my workflow to get my white
point under control earlier?

TIA, Dan S.