[OM] Re: Next E-x?

Subject: [OM] Re: Next E-x?
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 01:38:20 +0800
It was neither, if I could remember. there's no way in hell it could be
four-thirds!!!! FYI, very few of us were directly involved in this project.
Maitani was fairly much keeping this to himself and a few other senior
engineers. A few of these engineers came in from other divisions because
they had the digital experience that was still in its infancy at the Camera
Division.

K.

On 02/09/06, Jeff Keller <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Was it full frame or four thirds?
> -jeff
>
> ----Original Message Follows----
> From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> My mistake in not providing a more elaborate explaination. The plan WAS
> that
> DB options would be available all the way to a projected 2.2Mpix. We were
> aware at that time that development had already stated to attempt to get
> the
> Mpix count to somewhere nearer that level although at that time, it wasn't
> 2.2 yet. You're absolutely right about that. The DB that was featured in
> the
> OM-5 was a 2.2Mpix mockup. There were no labels to mark it as such but I
> do
> remember it to be that.
> During then Olympus was already very close to launching the commercially
> available (but I think it was only for the JDM) Vectis VC-1000, which was
> the company's first digital camera supported by a diskette drive, if I'm
> not
> mistaken.
> Hope that clears things up a little. My fault.
>
> K.
>

> On 01/09/06, Hans van Veluwen <hans.van.veluwen@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > What puzzles me most in this digital 2.2 Mpix OM-5 back is the timeline:
> >
> > - Maitani retired from Olympus in 1993.
> > - The first digital cameras from Olympus (Camedia C-400/C-800) were
> > introduced in 1996 and their maximum resolution was only 810.000 pixels
> > (1024x768).
> > - The 2 Mpix frontier was reached in 1999 with the C-2500L.
> >
> > How on earth could Olympus have its hands on a working 2 Mpix sensor
> > before 1993 and market it more than 6 years later?
> >

> > Hans
> >

> > : Me too. Maitani had a working prototype and if memory serves me
> > correctly,
> > : the DB was weighing in at around 2.2Mpix at that time. Plenty then,
> > paltry
> > : now of course.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx