[OM] Re: Grey Points & White Balance Issues

Subject: [OM] Re: Grey Points & White Balance Issues
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 18:09:56 -0700
Daniel Sepke wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I hope this question doesn't get lost in all current surge of traffic but
> here goes. My question relates to color balancing of studio portraits from
> E-1 RAW files using Olympus Viewer.

What Chuck and Adam said. If you want to assure correct color balance,
you must have a standard reference. Lights vary, perhaps not much, but
our eyes are specially designed to be very sensitive to subtleties of
skin color. I prefer the WhiBal to the Kodak card both because it is
easier to carry and use and because it provides white and black
references in addition to neutral gray.

And I second Chuck's recommendation of the WhiBal tutorials, even if you
use some other reference. For what you are doing, it's pretty simple.
You have the subject hold your reference card for one shot. You do your
reference conversion using that shot, then do whatever is required in
your converter to use the same color balance for the rest.

Some who do work that requires perfect color reproduction go further and
shoot a MacBeath or IT8 target to provide color reference points for
their software. It should be pretty easy to do with an IT8 target and
VueScan. You can then create an icc profile for the shoot. People tend
to think of VueScan as only a scanning tool, but it's more versatile
than that. You could batch convert RAW files using the icc profile or
batch color correct already converted TIFFs or JPEGs by creating an icc
profile from the converted reference shot.

Does you printer provide icc profiles for their various printers/papers?
Using those would tighten things up even more.

Moose