[OM] Re: olympus Digest V3 #236

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V3 #236
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 08:28:56 -0400
Well, not *always* at the camera.  When balancing the relative
contributions of the various lights of a studio setup I measure each
light directly.  But the overall average is, as you say, taken by
pointing the dome at the camera.  But you're still measuring the light
source in the sense that you're measuring the incident light that will
illuminate the subject... as seen by the camera.

And I don't know why you'd be embarassed to admit that you didn't
understand that at first.  I don't think it's exactly obvious at all.
Not quite as inscrutable as the sequence of button pushes to set
sub-mode 6 of custom function 13 or the reason why you'd ever even want
to do so but, non-obvious nonetheless.

Chuck Norcutt