[OM] Re: Grey Points & White Balance Issues

Subject: [OM] Re: Grey Points & White Balance Issues
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 09:55:22 -0400
Moose, Chuck, Jeff & Adam

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I was hoping one of you would
make a suggestion as I respect each of your opinions highly. It is great to
hear from all of you.

Adding a reference white card will definitely be my next step. I had kind of
forgotten the WhiteBal since it came up a while back. It occurs to me that
the technique was basically what I was doing with my last round of test
images (the subject was wearing a white shirt). Sometime the solution is
right in front of you and you can't see it!

Thanks also for the lighting setup tips. In the studio setups I was working
totally by flash with local ambient lighting off and window blinds drawn to
avoid them introducing problems. This week I am in the latter stages of
doing the informal outside shoots for this project, applying my learning on
how to fill flash at the same time (chimping as much as metering to get the
balances right). Adding the WhiteBal to these sessions should be of great
help too.

As far as profiling goes I will have to speak with MPIX about their side of
things but I will be adding an Eye-one puck to my system next week to help
get my viewing conditions under better control. Since this is only the start
of me doing this for hire I determined I would use an outside lab for
printing rather than try and print at home. My anticipated volume is not
super high but it adds up, this last week I have taken somewhere just north
of 2000 shots in both formal and informal poses for a group of around 350
people. Great exercise for my E-1 and me!

Anyway thanks again for all your suggestions and advice.

Dan S.