[OM] Re: Incident vs reflected, was olympus Digest V3 #236

Subject: [OM] Re: Incident vs reflected, was olympus Digest V3 #236
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 16:44:36 +0100

I've had a look at all my books (there had to be some use for
them :-)) and your point is well made.  However, merely pointing the
meter at the lens will not necessarily take into account all the
variations in the light; it's just one way of trying to cater for the
light and shadow.  According to Roger Hicks ("Perfect Exposure"), the
shape of the dome is pretty important in where you point the meter
for an incident reading.  But the common theme is that you should
point the meter in the general direction of light source as opposed
to the subject.

I have a feeling that this is one of those areas where judgement and
experience are important (there's no simple answer); mine are either
flawed or incomplete ...

Chris