[OM] Re: Incident vs reflected, was olympus Digest V3 #236

Subject: [OM] Re: Incident vs reflected, was olympus Digest V3 #236
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 09:59:10 -0700
> You don't point the dome at the camera.  With the translucent dome
> fitted over the sensor you point it at the light source to measure
> _incident_ light.  If you want to measure _reflected_ light you
> remove the the dome and point it at the subject.  How close to the
> light source you point it is a matter of judgement; e.g. above the
> horizon for the sun or below.
>
> I'm not sure what you might measure by pointing the meter at the
> camera, unless you are photographing the camera ... :-)
>
> Chris

>From my Gossen Ultra manual (page 17 for those following in your own pamphlet):

"When reading incident light, the spherical diffuser is placed in front of the
measuring cell window and pointed toward the camera, i.e. opposite the subject
being photographed.  The diffuser should receive the same light intensity and
distribution as that falling on the subject.  The reading at this point
indicates the strength of the light, but does not indicate the light value
reflected from the subject into the camera lens and onto the film.  It does
indicate the light value that would be reflected into the lens from an 18%
average reflective subject.  Therefore, when working with subjects that are
primarily very light or very dark, the incident exposure reading should be
adjusted to compensate for the difference in reflectivity from the 18%
standard."

If you are in a scary movie, don't go to the light, and if you are photographing
a scary movie, don't point your incident meter to the light.

Jay

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets