[OM] Re: OT philosophy, and no, there really is not a truth,...

Subject: [OM] Re: OT philosophy, and no, there really is not a truth,...
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 01:04:39 +0800
For what my two cents are worth...
It's critical for this List, as I can see, to be able to freely bring up
opinions and different ideas because it makes us see things from different
people's perspectives. At Olympus we have fascinating debates sometimes and
people were showing one another how each other were thinking. We learned
that way. We learn never to assume that what we know was gospel's truth.
Maitani blazed the way at Olympus because he refused to acknowledge that our
rivals were doing things right. And so he developed the OM-1 and the rest is
history as we know. The OM-1 forced so many changes in the industry and led
some to oblivion eventually.
The key to good discussions where points are thrown back and forth is to
stay calm. Both parties should exhibit a level of generosity in accepting
ideas and adding on to them. I won't philosophise anything here other than
to say that we should demonstrate how we can be diplomatic and friendly. No
need to vent our spleens. Be kind and understanding. Above all, stay cool
and calm. We're amongst friends here. There's enough sh*t out there to get
us down. Here at the List, I find friends and I find interesting topics
where I share and I also learn too. I might have worked at Olympus but that
doesn't mean I know everything. And for me, one of the most delightful
things at this List is to mingle with the people I used to work to serve and
it's an HONOUR to be here. And for those who welcomed me and made me feel
good here, thank you very much. I hope the both of you can see what I'm
trying to say. Please.

K.

On 04/09/06, Tim Randles <tim.randles@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IWert, I sadly agree with you on this one...
>
> Critical thinking skills and healthy debate died out with the removal of
> mandatory Latin training from university education. After that point,
> everything became learning by rote, "we will tell you what to think and what
> you need to know"
>
> Exibiting a difference of thoughts and opinion these days is
> synonymous  with being "agressive", difficult, or even violent and abusive
> in these places of supposed education. Just expressing an opinion and ne
> could be accused of "not working with the system". People are trained in
> these places to be dumb and follow along... " why cant we all just get
> along"
>
> I dont know why any man of reason, intelligence and creativity would
> attend a feminist monotheistic politically correct institution of higher
> brain washing in the first place.
>
> All you have to do is think about the bulk of the engineers/scientists
> they are producing these days. There are a few exceptions, ( they probably
> work at Olympus!)  but really, what "REAL" advances has our society made in
> the last 50 years... what *new* discoveries are being advanced to the
> benefit of society? Most of the stuff we are doing in science and technology
> is merely a further development of things that were discovered, invented and
> laid out in the last half of the 1800's and early 1900's.
>
> There has been hardly a single new development in science with maybe the
> exception of inventing new diseases for us to die from, ( iatrogenesis comes
> to mind...) Still no cure for Aids,  politicians are letting african
> nationals die at record numbers.. no cure for cancer, dispite billions of
> dollars annually put in that.. There is no political will to do anything
> about it, and it is more probably a matter orf wanting it to happen so the
> multinationals can keep extracting resources for free..
>
> As an electrician I can honestly say electricity hasnt changed, although
> Tesla had a way to broadcast power via microwaves, Radio, flourescent
> lighting, radio controls, fax machines, telephone,  hasnt changed since
> Tesla started showing this stuff to Congress in the early 1920's, we are
> still using the same technologies, albeit a bit more refined.. but we still
> dont know how it works, we havent started using gravitational fields to
> generate propulsion, people that are willing to work and experiment on this
> are mocked, ridiculed, and even destroyed..
>
> We are still using diesel and gasoline engines to power cars at pathectic
> economy...Jeep boasts a whopping 28 MPG in their new YJ, and hell, they had
> that in their old pickup trucks in the 70's,
>
> If we could only permanantly remove the Internal combustion engine from
> the economy of the world, then real science and technology could start to
> work on something *interesting* instead of "same ol..."
>
> BaaaaaBaaaa... Human sheeple...

> [...]

Khen Lim
XIOS Network Solutions
IBM Business Partner