[OM] Re: Are blurred pictures any good?

Subject: [OM] Re: Are blurred pictures any good?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 19:12:26 -0700
Christos Stavrou wrote:
> The results are blurry but surprisingly few are not that bad.. hmm... :)
> So, what do you think? (OM-20, Zuiko 135/3.5)
> http://www.christosgallery.fotopic.net/p33585956.html

As to the question posed in the title, yes, sometimes they are and
sometimes not.

If this were my image, that's not the question I would be posing. It's
not all that blurry and the fellow's eye is pretty sharp.

My question would be about my, and if I posted it, other folks' opinions
of such high key images of people.

I'm not posting an opinion so much as an alternate approach to tonality
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Christos/blurred1.htm>.

There are some funny artifacts in my alternate version that almost look
like it was scanned from a print on textured paper. Not sure what that's
about.

I rather like both, for different reasons. One is ethereal, idealized.
The very bright tonality of the skin hides detail and blemishes. It's
like a veil that distances me from the people. They become iconic
characters. The unnaturally bright tonality also brings up the question
about what they is looking at that so interests him and shares interest
for her with her closeness to him.

The other has a very intimate quality, with the detail of skin making
them seem like very real people, very close. As a result, for me, it
seems to capture an emotional sense of connection between two real
people that is generally hard to capture in a photograph. As the viewer,
I feel I can see something significant about the different personalities
they bring into relationship and something about the nature of the
relationship itself. None of this is necessarily true of the actual
subjects, but it informs my experience of the image.

That was good, thanks!

Moose